安全期自测| 排卵期自测| 预产期计算上海妈群249864808、193895848(满)
新来的妈妈报到帖:)合作、广告,请联系QQ872066119
查看: 2321|回复: 2
打印 上一主题 下一主题

8个英文俗语谈谈"money" [复制链接]

积分
帖子
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-10-13 08:20:20 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
Money, Money, Money – 8 English Idioms to talk about Money

In my last post, I told you that I was flying off to Barbados for a fortnight (two weeks). As you read this post, I am probably sunning myself at the beach or by the pool in our friends’ home. Ok, ok, I’ll stop bragging (showing off) and get to the point of today’s post.

One of the things we need to have when we go on holiday is money, of course. As I was thinking of how much to take with us and in what currency, I thought of all those wonderful idioms we have connected with the theme of money.

People say that “Money makes the world go round“, “Money talks” or as the Beatles sang “Money can’t buy me love“. Whatever we think of money, it’s important in our lives.

There are so many money expressions and idioms in the English Language that I could dedicate at least 5 posts to the topic. In this post, however, I want to share 8 money idioms.

Once again I have the pleasure of sharing this colourful infographic prepared by Kaplan International. You can find this infographic on the Kaplan website. I love the creative and humorous way the idioms are shown here.

Here is what they mean and how you could use them in a sentence:

1. Balance the books: to add up all the credits and debits of an account

结算、结账

“Thomas is in charge of balancing the books at the end of each quarter for the business”

2. Bring home the bacon : to earn money to support the family

赚钱谋生、养家糊口

“James does overtime so that he can bring home the bacon.”

3. Go Dutch: splitting (sharing) the bill equally

AA制、平分账单

“Matthew and Hazel always go dutch when they eat out.”

4. Gravy train: A job that pays a lot of money for very little effort

赚大钱的清闲差事、美差、肥缺

“Ian earns a fortune for three hours’ work a day. He’s really on the gravy train!”

5. Nest egg: Money that has been saved up over a period of time

储蓄金、储备金

“Over the years Leo has been very disciplined and saved every month. He now has a big nest egg on which he can retire.”

6. Cook the books: dishonest accounting

做假账

“The financial world has seen many business that have cooked the books to make their businesses attractive to potential investors.”

7. Golden handshake: A payment to a departing employee (normally the top executives)

解雇金、退职金

“As CEO, Ross was given a golden handshake when he agreed to leave the company.”

8. Cheapskate: A person who does not like to spend money on people (This is not used as a compliment)

小气鬼、吝啬鬼

“Thomas did not want to spend $5 on flowers for his mother. What a cheapskate!”

使用道具 举报

积分
帖子
沙发
发表于 2014-10-17 01:55:52 |只看该作者
共同发展!学习才会进步,谢了

使用道具 举报

积分
帖子
板凳